ITIL- An Approach for Competitive IT Service Management
ITIL formerly known as Information Technology Infrastructure Library is a complete set of IT service management practices. The set of practice is designed as a customizable framework to plan, standardize, execute the selection, planning, delivery and maintenance of IT services. The ultimate goal of embracing ITIL is to improve operational efficiency and to achieve the predictable service delivery. IT administrators experience for being the business service partners rather than just being a back-end support professionals when they get more freedom to align the IT service management practices according to the organizational plan, working culture, team structure, work flow and expected profitability.
After initial developments in the UK and getting importance of perceiving IT as a service, ITIL v3 version was introduced in 2017 that was updated in 2011 on the basis of feedbacks from the users and training professionals.
Five Core Concepts of ITIL:
- Service Strategy: The concept is the guideline for explaining the business goals and customer’s requirements as well as the way to align the objectives of both the entities.
- Service Design: The concept is the guideline to explain the planed IT policies, documentation and architectures.
- Service Transition: The concept is the guideline to explain the change management and release practices; it also guides the admin professionals for environmental changes and interruptions.
- Service Operation: The concept is the guideline to manage IT services on daily, monthly and yearly basis with close monitoring of progress and quality.
- Continual Service Improvement: The concept is the guideline to introduce policy updates for improvement within ITIL process framework.
The above five ITIL concepts are easy to see for applications but their application needs the professionals to have proper ITIL training that is provided by the accredited training partners of AXELOS for different certification courses.
ITIL Certification Path:
- ITIL Foundation: ITIL V3 Foundation is the 1st level of certification to start your journey for becoming an ITIL expert. ITIL v3 Foundation certification training is focused to introduce the key elements, concepts and terminology of ITIL.
- ITIL® Practitioner: It is the 2nd level certification to add more value to your ITIL certification. The three days ITIL® Practitioner course training delivers insights and practical expertise for using service management fundamentals, service lifecycle & IT-enabled services to improve business decisions as per the industry best Metrics.
The combo crash course, delivering the combined benefits of ITIL Foundation and ITIL® Practitioner, is also available.
- ITIL 4 Foundation: ITIL 4, the advanced version of ITIL v3, was introduced on 28th February 2019. ITIL 4 Foundation practitioner certification is the high in demand credential for the IT service management professionals. The five days ITIL 4 Foundation certification course training delivers insights in to ten critical domains of IT service management including - value creation; service provider type; service assets; service structures; defining service market; developing services to be offered; finance management; service portfolio; demand management and ROI - Return on investment.
ITIL Certification Benefits for the ITSM Experts:
- Get perfection in organizational change management (OCM)
- Learn to apply objective oriented practices for improves business decisions
- Learn to improve communication mechanism
- Learn to add competitive values to IT services to be delivered
- Learn to deliver better at lower cost
- Get awareness about measurement systems, metrics for services, methods, architecture, processes and associated components highly beneficial for effective IT service designing
- Learn to optimize technology architecture, management tools and management architecture
ITIL certification training delivers multiple capabilities for planning, assessing, processing and monitoring that benefit the professionals for Transition Planning and Support; Change Management, Service Assets & Configuration Management (SACM), Release & Deployment Management; Service validation & testing and Knowledge Management.
ITIL Benefits for the Organizations:
- Improved adaptability to changes
- Improved transition of mergers, de-mergers, acquisitions and transfer of services etc
- Improved success rate of applied changes
- Improved predictions about the services to be delivered
- Improved productivity
- Improved assessment of potential risk
- Improved IT services designed according to business objectives & customer expectations
According to Gartner report, “The majority of clients identifies improved customer satisfaction with IT services, better communications between IT staff and customers, and reduced cost”.
Forrester survey states, “More than 80% of businesses experience organizational productivity and service quality improvement after implementing ITIL .”
Most of the IT organizations engaged in IT service management face some critical challenges that hammer their growth rate and reputation both. Addictive to repetitive tasks, not keeping the customers informed, lack of proper understanding, poor knowledge of required ITSM practices, absence of goal and guiding principles are the commonly experienced challenges for successful IT service management. ITIL certifications, issued at different levels, train the ITSM professionals to counter down all the challenges and to perform better with available resources.