In today’s digitally connected world, cyber threats such as phishing, data breaches, Trojans, and ransomware attacks are becoming progressively common. IBM said phishing accounted for 16% of the top attack vectors in cybercrime.
- According to Cybersecurity Ventures, the Cybercrime annual cost is estimated to hit $8 trillion in 2023 around the globe. If it were measured as a nation, then cybercrime would be the world’s 3rd major economy after China and the U.S.A.
- A majority of adults (53%), agree that the shift to remote work has significantly facilitated the exploitation of individuals by hackers and cybercriminals. (Norton, 2021).
Therefore, safeguarding IT systems from potential cyber threats has become imperative for companies. These vulnerabilities can easily jeopardize organizational confidential data, and intellectual property, as well as complete business operations.
Who’s Mainly Hacked?
“Cybercrime is affecting companies of all sizes and any business that prioritizes uninterrupted operations, safeguarding its reputation, and securing the confidentiality of staff and customer data bears the obligation to invest in cybersecurity and proactively position itself against potential disruptions.”, mentioned by CMO at eSentire, told Cybercrime Magazine, Erin McLean,). Among the essential digital security tools in a business’s cybersecurity arsenal are penetration testing and ethical hacking.
This blog will delve into the reasons why businesses need to embrace these practices to ensure their digital security. By understanding the benefits of penetration testing and ethical hacking, organizations can proactively identify vulnerabilities, strengthen their IT systems, and safeguard their valuable assets.
Table of Contents
- Gaining Insight into Penetration Testing
- The Crucial Role of Ethical Hacking
- Significance of Pen Testing and Ethical Hacking for Organizations
- Top Recommended Certifications and Training Programs for Your Team
- Pros to Enroll Our Certified Security & Pen Test Certification & Training Program
- Top 10 Cyber Security Jobs with the Highest Packages
- Salary Outlook
Gaining Insight into Penetration Testing
Pen tests also called Penetration Testing or ethical hacking, include simulating real-world cyber-attacks to determine weaknesses and vulnerabilities that could be exploited by black hats or hackers. The main purpose of this proactive approach helps organizations identify bottlenecks and mitigate them before they can be misused by malicious attackers. By emulating the procedures, techniques, and tactics, employed by threat actors, businesses can gain insights into their susceptibilities and take proper actions to mitigate threats.
Penetration testing offers various crucial advantages to businesses:
- Firstly, it helps detect potential entry points for malicious actors or attackers, such as weak access controls, misconfigurations, or outdated software. By identifying these vulnerabilities, companies can patch them promptly, decreasing the threat of a successful obstacle or breach.
- Secondly, Penetration tests assess the effectiveness of existing security controls and measures, thereby uncovering any vulnerabilities or deficiencies that require attention. This lets companies improve their security posture and verify the proper functioning of protective measures.
- Lastly, penetration testing enables businesses to comply with industry regulations and standards by demonstrating their commitment to maintaining a secure digital environment.
The Crucial Role of Ethical Hacker
As organizations increasingly prioritize cybersecurity measures, ethical hacking has become an imperative strategy to implement. The roles and responsibilities of ethical hackers, often referred to as white-hat hackers, can be summarized as follows:
- Extraordinary Skills: Ethical hackers employ their expertise, to detect vulnerabilities and potential threats within a system. Once detected, they report such findings and work collaboratively with the company to execute countermeasures and strengthen the system’s defenses.
- Prioritize the integrity of the system: By stopping short of implementing an attack, ethical hackers prioritize the integrity and security of the system, guaranteeing that it remains secured from real-world threats.
- Access to Vital Technologies: Ethical hackers leverage various methodologies and techniques such as web app testing, vulnerability scanning, social engineering, network analysis, and many others. Such tactics allow them to comprehensively assess the security posture of an organization’s systems and detect potential weaknesses or flaws that could be exploited by malicious actors.
In order for a hacker to be considered ethical, several key parameters must be in place:
- Respecting Privacy: Ethical hackers must respect the privacy of the organization or individual being tested.
- Obtaining Permission: Ethical hacking requires explicit written or expressed permission from the organization or individual whose network is being tested.
- Task Protection: Ethical hackers must take necessary precautions to protect the tasks they are performing.
- Responsible Disclosure: When ethical hackers uncover security risks or vulnerabilities, they have a responsibility to inform the appropriate parties.
To summarize, an ethical hacker proactively hacks into the target system before any malicious hacker can do so, ensuring pre-emptive security measures are in place.
Significance of Pen Testing and Ethical Hacking for Organizations
Let’s explore some key benefits these practices offer to businesses:
- Detect Vulnerabilities: Penetration testing and ethical hacking help businesses detect potential vulnerabilities in their digital infrastructure. By simulating real-world attacks, these practices expose weak areas in systems, networks, apps, and procedures that might be exploited by malicious actors.
- Proactive Risk Management: By gaining a deep understanding of potential vulnerabilities and threats, organizations can strategically prioritize their risk management efforts and allocate resources more efficiently.
- Enhanced Security Posture: Regular penetration testing and ethical hacking exercises uncover gaps and businesses can strengthen their security posture and make informed decisions to protect their digital assets.
- Compliance with Regulations and Standards: By conducting regular assessments and demonstrating their commitment to maintaining a secure environment, organizations can fulfill their legal obligations and avoid penalties or legal consequences.
- Maintain Reputation & Customer Trust: By proactively conducting penetration testing and ethical hacking, organizations demonstrate their commitment to ensuring the security and privacy of customer data.
- Cost Savings in the Long Run: By identifying vulnerabilities and addressing them early on, organizations can prevent potential security breaches and associated financial losses. The cost of recovering from a cyber-attack, including remediation, legal fees, and reputational damage, can far outweigh the investment in regular security assessments.
- Continuous Improvement: Cybersecurity is an ongoing process, and threats are constantly evolving. Penetration testing and ethical hacking provide businesses with valuable feedback and insights for continuous improvement.
Top Recommended Certifications and Training Programs for Your Team
Microtek Learning offers individuals the opportunity to develop their expertise in Certified Ethical Hacking and Pen Testing through a wide range of certification and accredited training courses.
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) v12 Training
- CPENT: Certified Pen Tests Professional Training
- CompTIA PenTest+ Training
- ECSA (EC-Council Certified Security Analyst) V10 Training
These comprehensive courses can be pursued through flexible learning options, including Classroom Training or Live Online Instructor-Led methods.
Pros to Enroll Our Certified Security & Pen Test Certification & Training Program
- Approximately 70% of organizations indicated a shortage of personnel for their security team. (ISACA).
- In 2023, the cybersecurity job market is expected to have around 3.5 million vacant positions awaiting qualified professionals. (Cybersecurity Ventures).
When you enroll in our Certified Ethical Hacking and Pen Testing training courses, you can expect to gain the following benefits:
- Comprehensive Knowledge: Our certifications and training courses provide in-depth know-how of ethical hacking and pen tests best practices, concepts, and approaches. You will gain insights into various hacking methods, vulnerability evaluation, network security, web app security, and more. This all-inclusive knowledge equips you with the expertise required to effectively determine and mitigate cyber vulnerabilities.
- Hands-on Practical Experience: We emphasize practical hands-on exercises, simulations, and real-time situations to make sure that you gain practical experience to execute ethical hacking and pen tests. Through interactive and collaborative lab training sessions, you will have the prospect to apply your knowledge in a secured and controlled environment.
- Industry-Recognized Certifications: Our courses are prepared with industry-leading certifications in ethical hacking and pen tests, such as Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) and Certified Penetration Testing Professional Training (CPENT). These certifications validate your expertise and understanding, making you a sought-after expert in the cybersecurity field.
- Stay Ahead of Cyber Threats: As digital threats, online vulnerabilities, information security breaches and cyber security risks continue to evolve fast, it is crucial to stay updated with the cutting-edge methods and newest trends to effectively solve risks. You will also familiarize the latest strategies, tools, and methodologies, used by ethical hackers to stay ahead of cyber hackers and malicious attackers.
- Advanced Career Opportunities: By enrolling in our certified courses, you position yourself for exciting career prospects in cybersecurity. Whether you are seeking to progress in your career ladder or explore new job prospects, our training can enhance your career prospects in this competitive job market.
- Networking and Collaboration: Our training courses provide an excellent opportunity to connect with like-minded industry leaders, specialists, and professionals in the cybersecurity domain. You can expand your share knowledge, network, and collaborate on projects, fostering a supportive learning community.
- Practical Application in Real-World Scenarios: Our training courses focus on practical knowledge that can be straight applied to real-world scenarios. This practical application and approach confirm that you are well-prepared to tackle real-world challenges in your professional career.
Given the substantial benefits and the growing demand for ethical hackers, pen test professionals, and security analysts, in today’s market landscape, employers are actively searching for qualified contenders to fill roles in IT security systems.
Top 10 Cyber Security Jobs with the Highest Packages
- Penetration tester.
- Information Security Analyst.
- Cybersecurity Administrator.
- CISO (Chief Information Security Officer).
- Malware Analyst.
- Network Security Architect.
- Security Sales Engineer.
- Information Security Analyst
- Application Security Engineer
- Bug Bounty Specialist
- CyberSeek lists the average payscale for penetration and vulnerability testers at 101,662 USD.
- BLS (The U.S. Bureau of Labor) Statistics reports that the average annual salary for information security analysts is 102,600 USD.
Now that we’ve outlined the types of certifications and rewards to consider cyber security certifications and training programs, we can move on—Most Popular Sector for Cyber Security Jobs.
Enrolling in our Certified Ethical Hacking and Pen Testing training courses offers great scope in the future. By acquiring these skills and certifications, you can become a proficient ethical hacker and penetration tester, making a significant impact in the field of cybersecurity.
Looking to Grab a Career in Cybersecurity? Open the doors to a successful cybersecurity career with our Certified Training Program. Talk to us now and explore which Certification is right for your future-proof career.